Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Travels with my iPhone

I admit it, I am in danger of becoming an iPhone bore. I’m told it happens to us all.

After about 3 days of wanting to chuck it at the wall, as I could neither download or text, and the most useful thing I’d discovered was how to find out what the weather was in Luxor, I started to get the hang of it. Setting up an iTunes account helped*.

I’m thinking it’s going to be most useful when I’m out and about. I’m not interested in the many games Apps, but there are some wonderfully geeky mapping Apps, and I’m nothing if not a map geek.

I got to test it out on Thursday when I had to go to Manchester with our Finance Director for a meeting. He had a paper map, but it wasn’t that good, so I tapped the post code of the place we were going into the iPhone. It didn’t just show us the route, but also show us walking along it as a little blue dot. We were like a couple of children, giddy with excitement (I know, it doesn’t take much)! Coming home, I was able to find the times of the next trains to York (ok, I missed the first of them, but that was because I don’t do running).

Then yesterday we were having a shopping day in Liverpool, and wanted coffee. I was standing in Debenhams and searched for coffee shops. The nearest one was actually one I’d been to last summer, Rococo, and wanted to visit again. It's a bit like a tart's boudoir, and a welcome change to Starbucks or Costa

Mind, I also discovered that this same App shows you where the nearest places of interest are to where you’re standing, and gives you the history of them. I find this fascinating. My colleagues just rolled their eyes and groaned.

I am going to enjoy this!

*Yes, I know this is the basic thing, but I didn't have one, and hadn't set it up right at first.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home