Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Overheard in a theatre bar

I’m waiting to be served, and eyeing up a piece of ginger cake (which confirms that the diet is so far going nowhere fast), when I casually tune in to the conversation in front of me. It seems the server has recognised the customer

‘Hello, do you remember me, we were in Titus Andronicus together?’
‘Oh yes, I was Saturninus, the Roman Emperor, and you were...?’
‘I was one of Tamora’s son’s…I ended up in a pie’

When it’s my turn he sees I’m smiling at the conversation.
‘You don’t hear a conversation about Titus Andronicus very often’, I say.
‘Did you see it?’ he asks. He has that look of an actor who's thinking they might get a bit of praise. I guess it’s a reasonable expectation, given how infrequently it's performed. I know I’m going to disappoint him, and out myself as a theatre snob in the same sentence.
‘No, I saw it at the Globe, it was one of the plays I still had to tick off on my list’.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home