Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, February 26, 2010

A Big Frock

We’ve all done those ‘icebreaker’ games at training courses, right? The sort of things which make some people cringe with embarrassment. We’ve been having a couple of ‘awaydays’ from work recently, so it was decided that we needed one of these at the start of each day to warm things up, and to get to know a bit more about each other.

This week, we were all asked to draw something which represented our personality, and then we would all look at the drawings and try and decide who each one belonged to.

I tried to decide what to draw. A theatre would be too obvious. I settled on a big sparkly frock.

Setting aside that artistic ability doesn’t seem to be one of our strong points, it was quite interesting to see what people had drawn. Many had drawn stick people representing partners and family, whilst others had focussed on interests, music, golf, bird watching. Some people were very obvious, others more difficult to guess.

One drawing was of what I took to be a pig’s head*, (though others took it to be a cat), and a skull and cross bones.

‘I think that’s Val’
‘I think it’s Val too, she’s just playing it cool’
‘Why? Do you think I’m into piracy?’**
‘It’s your Gothic side coming out’

Then the frock drawing was displayed

‘No, I think that’s Val’
‘Yes, I do, it’s the drama’
‘What is it?’

I acknowledge ownership. ‘It’s a big frock’. Some of them look a little puzzled. ‘I believe life is better in a big sparkly frock’

‘I bet you like Gone With The Wind too, don’t you?’

*Turns out it was a teddy bear
**Yes, I know we once planned to sail a boat to Falkirk, and I have dressed as a pirate, but they don’t know that

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home