Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, February 01, 2010

Theatre at last

For a while, I've felt like a Theatre Snob who doesn't actually see any theatre, as, until a week ago, I haven't been to see anything since early November. Yes, December was theatre-less. Shocking, I know, and not acceptable. I must do better. It was therefore a relief to finally go to see The Misanthrope in London last weekend.

‘She’s too thin, it’s distracting’, is the verdict of half of our party on Keira Knightley, who is the principal reason that we had to pay full price for our seats. And she really is as skinny as they say. Her costumes emphasise this, to then extent that you want to tell her to go and have a plate of chips. She isn’t our principal reason for going, however. That would be Dominic Rowan, and Damian Lewis.

Of course, I’m interested to see what she makes of her first stage appearance, and she is fine. Not startling, not great, but fine, in the role of a Hollywood actress embroiled in the celebrity circuit, which is a good choice for her. Martin Crimp’s modern adaptation is in verse, and the rhythm of the lines occasionally catches her out. She’s in the midst of experienced stage actors who, in the main, handle it much better, though initially I’m a bit worried about Damian Lewis’s diction.

Most of the characters in the play are manipulative and cynical. Whilst I can see why it seems a good idea to update it, I’m thinking it would probably have worked better in its original 17th Century setting. In the second act, I’m proved right, as an excuse is found for a 17th Century costume party, and in the last scene the play fizzes with a life it didn’t have before. The costumes are fabulous. Keira actually looks better in period costume, as the dress disguises something of her extreme skinniness. She does lack a 17th Century bosom though*.

I like the performances of Dominic Rowan as Alceste's best friend (and the most sympathetic character), and Tara Fitzgerald as an acting coach. I find I can't blame Alceste when he storms out on the lot of them. The cast is a strong one, but occasionally I feel they're having to work really hard to cover some of the cracks in the play.

*No amount of ‘hoicking your boobs up’, which used to be my instruction to customers in costume hire, would work here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home