Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, January 08, 2010

Snow, snow, snow

It’s a long time since I’ve not been able to get to work because of snow, but this week, I’ve missed two days. Oh, we have some disruption every year, but it’s a long time since there’s been this much, and it’s lasted this long. It used to happen much more frequently, and I have photos of me standing on snow drifts as high as the hedgerows when I lived in the countryside.

I think that year it took them three days to get a snow plough through to us. But we didn’t panic buy (well, we couldn’t as there was no shop), and we just got out the shovels and dug paths. There was no reason to try and use the car, as even if you dug it out, you couldn’t go anywhere. If you were lucky, a tractor might get through.

What I don’t remember is there being the huge drama then that there is these days, particularly if it should happen to hit London. I know people travel much further to work now, and need to be informed of what the weather, and transport, are like, and the internet is a great and wonderful thing when it comes to information. Back then, you just had to set off with your wellies, and a shovel in the boot and hope for the best. And (and I know this makes me sound old), our house didn’t have any central heating. Flippin’ freezing it was.

This year, I have actually bought new wellies, and have been looking for some ‘snow boots’. No, I’m not quite sure what they are either, but I’m sure I used to have a pair, and they kept my feet warm and dry. A friend said 'are you sure you don't still have them?', as I'm known for my hoarding, and if I look in the right cupboard, well, maybe I'll find them.

But it is very pretty to look at, and there’s something about this sort of snow, dry, powdery, and somehow, clean, that just makes you want to get out in it and take photos. I would just like some warmer weather soon.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home