Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

What a difference a few years makes

I nearly went to see Griffin tonight. When I say ‘nearly’, J and I had plans to walk through the snow from hers to the Vicky Vaults for an acoustic gig. I set off from home, it was snowing, and once I hit the main roads which are usually clear, it was lying fast, and there wasn’t enough traffic to keep it clear. It was pretty scary.

I made it to Monkgate, before deciding I was being foolish, and if I made it to the pub, I might not make it back. I turned round, and drove back home, sliding back down the roads.

Later, I was on the phone to Corinne talking about this:

‘You went to Cardiff in awful weather and with overturned lorries not to see John, and we went to Liverpool that time, not to see James.’
‘Yes, and I also went to Stratford in snow when I got there and some of the actors didn’t’
‘In the past, you’d have abandoned your car, and walked. But now you wouldn’t cross town for him’
‘I know. It feels rather strange. I knew you’d understand’. We laughed.

Pause

‘Imagine if it had been this week last year*!’
‘Oh God!’

*That is the week of the last DT Hamlet, and Barrowman in panto

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home