Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Giving Notes

The scene: a theatre bar in the Potteries. We're discussing the opening night of the production of Jekyll and Hyde, the Musical, which we've just seen, with T, the director, and being generally very complimentary about the production and the performances*. I've already knocked back one glass of wine post show, and am starting into my second, so I'm very happy to offer my opinions.

T: (clearly a little concerned) but what did you think of the father's wig in Scene 1?
Me: (he knows I'm a theatre snob, he wants me to honest here!) Sorry, but it reminded me of Peter Sellers playing Richard III.
T: Yes! (dashes off to tell someone they have to change the wig before the second night)

Later

We're standing at same theatre bar and the opening bars of Blood Brothers waft across the space. Someone behind the bar has decided to play the soundtrack cd. We turn and exchange a look with T. And, for a few seconds, we're sharing the memories of the highs and lows of last autumn**.

*but not the show itself, as it's not the greatest musical in the world, and has only one memorable song, 'This is the Moment'.

**which included a great deal of alcohol, a few hangovers, hugs and tears, a fair bit of name calling, and a little bit of magic.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home