Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, September 03, 2006

The end of summer

Well, it feels like it. I went into town yesterday morning and it started to pour down. Lots of people walking around drenched, and even though I had my umbrella I got pretty wet. Whatever happened to the hot August that we’d been promised? I hate this ‘turn of the seasons’ time, when there starts to be a chill in the air, and the nights are closing in. Time for comfort shopping* and comfort food.

But this year, it’s also a time of new opportunities. I finished one of my jobs on Friday. Only I didn’t. I’m no longer employed there, but I’m still going in for a few days to hand things over. And then, what? I actually don’t know, apart from one day a week that I’ll actually be employed for. I should have spent some of the last three months working out what I want to do next, but I haven’t. My excuse is time, and there’s certainly been very little of that, with the combination of work, and quick dashes to London, and Edinburgh, but in reality I think it’s partly because it’s very scary to even think about it.

And so that’s what I have to look to now, finding out what I want to do, and then finding if it’s out there. I know that 7 years ago when I went to University I was looking for a complete change, and whilst that partly happened for a while, I did drift back into doing what I’d done before, for reasons that were, if I’m honest, mainly financial. I therefore dropped most of my theatre, and I miss it desperately, but finding anything in theatre that actually pays you is incredibly difficult. Last time, having no job** was such a shock that I think I was still reeling from that when I accepted this job. It was never going to be ideal, with a 90 mile trip each day to get there and back, and, at least this time, leaving is my choice . I just have to sort out now when I actually finish.

*In my case, 3 books, 3 dvds, and 1 cd!
** just in case anyone was wondering, I was made redundant

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home