Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Into the woods

At one point last night, as I listened to Griffin play an acoustic gig in Dalby Forest, I thought back about some of the bizarre places that we’ve seen him perform over the last 3 years. This year so far, it’s been The Lion Inn at Blakey Ridge, ‘Boro Town Hall, and the Black Sheep Brewery, Masham. Not your usual list of gig venues, I think you’d agree. And that’s to say nothing of previous ‘venues’ such as Scarborough beach in the rain, and, going even further back, the dodgy nightclubs, and Christmas light switch-ons.

Given that we’re not known for our love of nature, as we headed into the forest down a deserted road signed as ‘gates shut at 8pm’, there were points where Corinne and I were hoping that we wouldn’t break the ‘no overnight camping’ rule by getting stranded there. Thankfully we spotted Gayle’s car in the car park, and headed in the direction of the noise.

This seemed to be a very informal, and impromptu, gig, arranged at short notice, presumably only advertised through the website, and at the Dalby Centre, and attended by the Griffin stalwarts, friends and family, and a few stray locals and tourists (there must have been a few of them, as one woman came up to me at the end of the gig, and asked me who he was – it seems so long since I’ve had to explain that).

Much as I love a rocking band gig, just for the sheer joy of being able to bounce around, I do love to hear him sing acoustically, as that, to me, is when his voice just cuts to the heart. And when I hear that again, and see him putting his heart and soul into a song, I still believe, and I know that a part of me always will. There’s far too much history now to give up on him.

This gig was a lovely mix of the old and the new, and to me the balance felt just right. This year the focus has been very much on the new songs, on moving forward, and quite right too, but you do miss the songs that are part of our story as well as his. So it was lovely to hear him start with ‘Feeling Alive’, and finish with the acoustic version of ‘Bring it On’, even though he didn’t grant our request for ‘Wherever You Will Go’. Although it’s not his own song, it feels like it is, and when you look at the list of at the top of this entry, it feels like it’s ours too. I miss it.

It feels as though things are changing again, but it's lovely to see him when he seems relaxed, and the banter isn't forced. 'Get a Life' seemed tongue in cheek this time, where I had found it quite bitter the first time I heard it. I can't believe people can listen to it, and not go 'ouch' at some of the lines, but this time it felt more like a shared joke than an indictment.

As we headed through the pitch black to the car park (why do I never remember the country doesn't have street lights) leading Corinne to walk into a rock*, and then drove through the mist (well, fog actually) out of the forest to the nearest purveyor of alcoholic beverages, once again there had been that little bit of magic.

*I am thinking of keeping an 'ND Expedition Pack' in the boot, for outdoor events and trips to the country. So far, it needs to comprise waterproof rug, large unbrella, spare shoes, torch, emergency alcohol supply, but I am sure there are more things to add

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just lovely Val, thank you :)

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've captured a beautiful night perfectly. x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home