Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Equality has a long way to go

Scene 1

An office. The saga of the laptop continues. I asked the question, 'How's my laptop?' more in hope than in expectation.However, the answer was unexpected.
'Ah, well, you didn't need one that good, so we've decided N should have that one. We've found you a 'ladies' laptop'.
Me: (in what even I would describe as a 'dangerous' tone) 'What? I really don't think you want to say that to me.'
Said laptop is produced. It is second hand, has been gathering dust for a few months, and is the size of a note pad. It is useless. 'How do you think I'm going to use that?' (I'm angry, but also close to tears, which are partly frustration at the fact I'm getting nowhere)
'What do you mean? It's a ladies laptop - look, it will go in your handbag'.
I know in my head that I'm being fobbed off here. And it isn't even working yet.

Scene 2

A pub. I'm sitting on my own, clutching a glass of wine, and feeling conspicuous. I find I'm doing this more frequently these days, as I'm away quite a lot with work, and this means I usually have to eat alone. I still feel that a woman alone in a pub looks odd, in a way that a man never does. Perhaps it's the fact that the pub remains, in my eyes, a 'blokey' environment, in a way that a wine bar doesn't. I know these are my issues, but I guess I hate how vulnerable it makes me feel.

In this pub, there's a line of blokes standing at the bar. I wait patiently to get served, and am pretty much ignored, until one of them rather than the bar staff notices that I was before him, and points me out. I spot a little cubby hole where I can sit, and quickly claim it. I try to be a grown up, but I still find I'm getting out my work file, and scribbling notes, and the playing with my phone. Anything to look busy, and create an illusion of confidence.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm apoplectic on your behalf, grrrrr!

Cx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home