Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, August 17, 2006

The kindness of strangers*

Where was I? Oh, that's right...London**. I meant to continue my London Blog earlier, but as usual, Life took over, and I've spent the last few days working, driving, or sleeping.

But I had such a fab time I want to continue to talk about it. A brilliant couple of days, bookended by two random acts of kindness - from the woman came over and gave us two day passes for the tube as we stood in the long queue for tickets, to the girl in the lovely little french patisserie who gave us free croissants that we brought back for breakfast.

So many memories - going to the British Museum for the first time in my life and being amazed at the Egyptian and Assyrian statues and art. Seeing all those things I've heard about; the Rosetta Stone, the Elgin Marbles (or Partheonon Frieze, as it now seems to be called), the Portland Vase, the Sutton Hoo treasure. And finding it had a fabulous gift shop, where I could buy classy souvenirs, and a great little book on Shakespeare***, which even had a few quiz questions in it.

Wandering the backstreets of Theatreland and Covent Garden; stopping off for occasional food and cocktails, and to read the menu at The Ivy, and discovering that it isn't actually out of our price range. Browsing in fabulous shoe shops, and looking longingly at the theatres, and wishing that Sunday opening was already a reality.

*ok, which play?
**probably only Corinne will get this allusion
***It has to be good when a book on Shakespeare also quotes Dawson's Creek

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Corinne said...

I don't know my Tennessee Williams very well, but I do know your title's from A Streetcar Named Desire ;-)

Where was I? Oh, that's right...Barcelona. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home