Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, May 18, 2009

What's another year?

This year, I wasn’t at home to watch Eurovision. I know, shocking, isn’t!

When I’d arranged a date for a meal for a group of friends, it was so far in advance that I didn’t think to check the date. You think I’d know that Eurovision is always mid-May*. And for the first time since 2005, we didn’t have a party.

I sort of made up for it by watching the semi finals, which meant I had seen most of the entries. It wasn’t the same as seeing it live on the night, but as I intermittently tried to follow the proceedings via Twitter comments from Cat and Coza, it helped. It was very intermittent, as I was in a Chinese restaurant (I know, I wasn’t even eating Eurovision), which had very hit and miss reception.

I was, of course, supporting the beautiful and uber-camp, Sakis from Greece. As you know, we met him in Istanbul. Norway was apparently the favourite, though I didn’t find the song, or the singer, that great. Anyhow, apparently it was a runaway winner.

This bigger talking point, however, was that the UK came 5th**. Amazing, for a song that belongs in a (not a terribly good) West End show. I guess all that promo worked.

I did miss the chance to eat random food from all over Europe, and to score all the songs on their Eurovision-ness, though. Hopefully next year, for Oslo.

*I know this wouldn’t be a significant date in most people’s calendars, but it is in mine.
**Yes, I was a bit sad that Foxy’s total has now been overtaken

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home