Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

'A sad tale's best for Winter'

I love 'The Winter's Tale'. Of the late plays, it’s probably my favourite, and I’ve seen some great productions over the years. Once again, the theatre snob in me was hyper-critical, and had high expectations. That sounds as though there’s a hesitation, and there is, but overall, I really enjoyed David Farr’s production.

I’ve always thought Leontes to be a pig of a part for an actor, as the jealous rage against Hermione and Polixenes seems to come from nowhere, but Greg Hicks gave a masterly portrayal of a usually controlled man in torment. Beautifully spoken (and always audible, Patrick Stewart take note), and more frightening because of the ‘sanity’ of his madness. A man who is obeyed, even when behaving totally irrationally.

Kelly Hunter’s Hermione matched him in dignity, and these two are an intelligent and articulate pairing. For the first time in my recollection the trial had me in tears.

Sicilia appeared to be set in a huge library. There’s a fabulous moment at the end of the trial scene which I won’t spoil, but it created a wonderful image.

I felt the Bohemian sheep shearing scenes worked less well. It’s a little like ‘rustic’ Shakespeare is now a bit embarrassing for the Company. There was a strange mix of accents, West Indian, Welsh and Scots, amongst Perdita’s adoptive family, which seemed odd. I did inwardly groan at yet another rustic dance with ‘comedy’ phalluses. I have to admit it all bored me a bit, so I was glad when Polixenes and Camillo revealed themselves, and it turned darker again as they headed back to Sicilia.

One of the joys of the RSC Ensemble approach is that you get to see actors in small roles who will take a greater role in other plays. Here we had Sam Troughton, who will play Brutus this summer, in the minor roles of Dion and Paulina*’s Steward. Paulina’s Steward is the one who reports the off stage revelations that Perdita is Leontes’s lost daughter. I have never seen this speech played so well, or so clearly. It was funny, touching, and had absolute clarity. Troughton** has made a bit of a name for himself on tv, and already has the theatrical credentials, and I feel we’re in for a treat when Julius Ceasar comes.

The last scene can be one of the most moving in Shakespeare, and here it was. Leontes ‘she’s warm’ is full of wonder, and regret, and remorse, and the reunion of husband and wife was very touching. Shakespeare gives Hermione no words to her husband, just to her daughter, so you have no textual clue about her response, but here the message was of forgiveness.

Overall, I would give it three stars. I think it’s a ‘grower’, but then I also think many of these productions should be seen more than once, as you can’t fully appreciate it the first time. I think the new ensemble has lots of potential, and I’m really looking forward to what develops over the next couple of years.

*’Paulina’ herself cropped up as the head of Unit in this weekend’s Doctor Who
**Also a grandson of Doctor Who, of course

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home