Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, May 15, 2009

Training injury

I’ve always maintained that exercise is dangerous, and really needs to be avoided at all costs, and sport even more so, however, I now find myself nursing a 'training injury'. I think you can safely say it's not a phrase that I ever expected to apply to me.

When I climbed Roseberry Topping the other week, as we encountered one of the steep sections, I felt a pull in my calf muscle. Painful, yes, but it didn’t stop me climbing, and I finished the walk.

Last weekend, on Saturday I did about 3 miles with V*. I could feel the strain as we did the first uphill section, but it was ok. On Sunday, I’d planned another, 5 mile, walk with the ladies walking group.

The first section was steeply up hill. We encountered the first significant mud for a few weeks, and I did a bit of shrieking like a girl, but managed not to fall over. Then the incline became even steeper, and as I took a step, I felt my leg ‘go’.

After that, it was difficult to put any weight on it for a while, and I had to abandon the walk. I was gutted. I walked back down hill, and then along the river, as I waited for the others, wondering just when all this became so important to me.

I’m now resting it this weekend, which is good, as the weather is rubbish anyway. I’m supposed to be doing 3 miles on Sunday, but am told it is downhill, so I’m hoping it holds up. I remain determined to complete my 10 miles in 5 weeks time.

*We did find a fabulous, and highly recommended tea shop, in the village of Glasshouses, with gorgeous cake.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home