Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I think my hip action is going to need a lot of work!

As one of my resolutions for this year*, I was determind to take up dancing again. After all, the ‘handbag walks’ have tailed off to nothing now that it’s winter, so I need to get exercise somehow. So when J mentioned that they did salsa** classes at one of the local health clubs, I decided to go along.

My first class was last Friday, and thankfully there were a lot of absolute beginners there. I’m not sure my body multi-tasks when it comes to dancing. I was trying to move my feet, wiggle my hips and think about my arms. Suffice to say it was a bit of a shambles and I kept losing the timing. Definitely a bit more of a Kate Garraway than Alesha Dixon.

But it was fun, so I decided to go along again last night, so that I could go over the moves while it’s still pretty basic. I was a little better I think. At least, I was until you had to dance with a partner. As one of the ‘basic’ moves involved the man clutching the lady to his chest, pivoting her round, and the lady wrapping her leg round his, it was all very up close and personal, and I lost my timing again!

I can now understand why Gethin had those intimacy issues early on.

*yes, I know I haven’t written about them as yet, but the last week has been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster

** I know. I still have a certain person’s salsa moves in my head.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home