Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, December 17, 2007

From 'Geth' to 'Gethin'


It's not where you start, it's where you finish. The face says it all. He's totally in the zone in the second picture from Saturday night. I would say that the first picture is 'Geth' and the second 'Gethin'.
I can’t pretend I’m not gutted, because I am. The dream is over. Somehow, in my heart of hearts I think I knew that this would be the last week, though I didn’t expect things to pan out as they did. I think it’s fair to say that a few tears have been shed since Saturday night.

For the first time this series I was out, and missed watching ‘live’, so I had to keep putting in a few votes when ever I got a moment. I was at the theatre, so I was pleased there was an early interval, so I could get a few more in before the voting deadline, but of course I didn’t know how things had gone.

I didn’t get home till after midnight, but I knew that I had to watch it before I went to bed. I saw Alesha do a fabulous quickstep, and Matt do a very average Argentine Tango*, which was mainly Flavia, then Gethin took to the floor for his Paso**. It was strong, it was dramatic, but it wasn’t his best dance. I think it was undermarked by most judges, and slightly overmarked by Len.

Round two, two more AT’s and a waltz from Matt. I liked Alesha’s AT which was sultry and dramatic. Matt came out for his waltz. He completed it, it wasn’t a patch on Gethin’s from the other week, or Alesha’s from earlier in the series, as it didn’t have the emotional connection, but quite unbelievably it got 4 10’s. I think my level of disbelief was the same as when John Barnes got a 10 for his salsa. And I thought Len’s standing ovation was disgraceful***. I think then I knew it was all over. A lack lustre and averagely marked dance would have made me pretty hopeful. As I looked at Gethin and Camilla’s faces before they went onto the dance floor, I could see that they knew too. They still came out and did what for me was the best AT of the night. Dark, brooding and romantic. They got 36. They were bottom of the leader board. I knew it was going to take a miracle, and I don’t believe in those.

Watching the results show was very hard. I knew he was going to have to dance again. I was actually surprised that it was Alesha who went through, so I think that proves that Matt’s sympathy vote was a one week wonder. It’s possible that Gethin got the highest public vote. I thought their AT was even better second time round, and the emotional connection between them was fabulous. But as they stood before the judges, I knew. They’d marked that waltz ‘perfect’ earlier, how could they not put him through now. All credit to Arlene though, for picking Gethin and Camilla, but it made no difference.

He was dignified, gracious and an absolute gentleman in defeat. The response of the audience was worthy of a finalist, and in my head and my heart that’s what he’ll always be. His career will be on the up and up, and I think Blue Peter will have attracted a few more viewers while he’s still with them. I guess in many ways I’m actually more gutted for Camilla, as she looked like she was trying not to cry as they stood before the judges. They are my finalists. A different week, a different result I think.

I really want Alesha to win now. In fact, I may even give her a few votes. But I’m not emotionally attached anymore. Well not until next year. But there’s still the Christmas special to look forward to. It often seems an anti-climax after the final. But it won’t be this year.

*Can someone explain to me why Matt did his AT first? My brain, which looks for the conspiracy theory, tells me that it was because it’s Flavia’s ‘dance’ and she would be able to get him through it if he faltered.

**If only he’d had a foxtrot, or any ballroom dance, I think we’d have had a different outcome

*** on the results show both Craig and Len admitted that part of their marking was because of his comeback from last week, which is basically WRONG. I’m starting to think he’s a better actor than I gave him credit for!


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home