Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, December 23, 2007

All over for another year

Well, it was the final last night. I got through it by being at a ‘Strictly’ party given by friends. I’d been a little dubious about going, as I thought I might be the spectre at the feast, given I really am not over it yet, but they said the magic words ‘dress up’ and ‘wear sequins’. The world will always seem better when you’re wearing a posh frock.

Truly, I didn’t think any of the repeated dances were as good as the first time round. I thought Alesha looked very nervous, and knackered, given her training level. I do think that having to do five dances in the final is just too many. Yes, I know they’ve lost a couple in both of the last couple of years, but they could have done something about it. A three person final would have been much better. I'm really pleased that Alesha won. She deserved it.

Of course, my highlight was when my boy came back. We may have only got a curtailed version of his salsa, but he was having fun. Shimmying at the judges (actually, probably at Arlene) and hi-fiving with some of the audience. And a reappearance of that shirt could never be a bad thing! I have to say I have really admired his attitude over this last week. He’s been all over the media, obviously gutted, but gracious and dignified. It’s a hell of an achievement to get that balance right, and he has. (I haven’t, I know it and accept it, but then you know what I'm like).

I really hope that next year they get rid of the dance off, that the judges don’t give out quite so many 10’s, and that they move the results show back to Saturday. It was so much better last night when you knew it was live, and there was no chance of any spoilers. It never felt the same when you knew it was recorded, and therefore edited.

Next year, I know that I will get addicted again, and that I will have a new favourite. Whether it will be as intense as this year is doubtful.

But for now, roll on the Christmas special. I may be back!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home