Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, May 17, 2007

'Underneath an alehouse' paltry sign'

As usual, I got lost getting from Hertford to St Albans, and I'm once again heading for the town centre (is it a city? it has a cathedral, so perhaps it is?).

As I pull up at the traffic lights, I notice a sign that I never saw the prevous 3 times I'd been at these lights. Bizarrely, it's on the side of a bank. 'Site of the Castle Inn, where Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset was slain at the Battle of St Albans 1455'. Suddenly, in this line of traffic, this triggers a memory, and I'm thinking of Henry V1 part 2, where Somerset dies under the sign of 'the Castle in St Albans', having been warned to 'shun castles'.

I guess I'm just a bit obessive about Shakespeare!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home