Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, April 30, 2007

Second impressions


As we arrive in Florence the airport coach crosses the Arno, and there spread before us is the view from all those images and films. The sun is shining and it looks beautiful. I’ve been before, but it was 17 years ago on a trip that also took me to Venice and Lake Garda. Now I reflect on it, I recall little of the actual experience of Florence and think that was because I fell so utterly in love with Venice that it faded in the memory. ‘Seventeen years’ is a refrain that I think Cat must have got sick of hearing over the last few days.

We walk from the station to our accommodation, which is just near the Duomo. It proves a little difficult to find, so I have to try out my Italian and ask a policeman. We still end up speaking English though. Walking back the way that we’ve come, we spot a tiny sign next to a huge door, and ring the bell. The Residenza is on the top floor, and we start up the stairs with our heavy cases. We reach the first floor before I realise that there is actually a lift!

Our room is comfortable and spacious, and when we look out of the window we can see the Duomo and the Campanile di Giotto. This really is a ‘room with a view’ that E.M. Forster* would have been proud of. After unpacking, we venture out and walk around the Piazza del Duomo, and down to the Uffizi Gallery and the Ponte Vecchio. I’m slightly dazzled by all the goldsmiths as we cross it, selling jewellery so ostentatious that much of it is too ‘bling’ even for me! It’s all very busy with tour groups playing ‘follow the umbrella’ and I’m very glad that we can deviate from the main tourist track.

Everywhere you look is a photo opportunity. You look upwards, and a shop turns out to be housed in a 15th C. palazzo. I’m a little overwhelmed by all the history, and thoughts of all those who have walked here before me. I feel slightly drunk and light headed at the thought.

Later, after a fantastic meal, we return to a much quieter Piazza della Signoria for a drink and we’re able to enjoy the statues under the Loggia de Lanzi that was earlier crowded with people. Nearby, someone is playing some music - this has to be close to heaven.

*OK, so it’s not a view of the Arno

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, I love Florence. x
*not jealous*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home