Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Handbag Walks, Part 2

It’s our walking day again. We’re debating where to go, and decide on a country walk near Elvington. This is before I’ve ventured outside, when I do, it’s starting to rain. By the time V and J arrive its what I’d call a heavy shower. Time for a re-assessment.

‘We could do the Designer Outlet?’
‘What about Helmsley?’

Before we leave my house the destination has changed 3 times, and we’re heading for Helmsley, where there are nice shops, and places to eat, if the weather doesn’t improve. I put on my boots.

We arrive, and walk down into town. We’d better have some refreshment before we set off. We have coffee, and I share a toasted tea cake with V. We then head for tourist information, via one or two other shops. We buy more books about walks. That always feels good. I pick up some brochures, and V buys a book with the walk in that we’re doing, Helmsley to Rievaulx Abbey. I’ve done it before, once when I was at school, and once about 20 years ago. It can’t be too difficult, as I know from my photos I was wearing a skirt and sandals.

We set off, and as it’s still raining I’m wearing my kagoul on top of my denim jacket. This proves to be a mistake, as I’m soon boiling. Various comments are made on my co-ordination, as the kagoul is turquoise, and matches my handbag, and I have a bright pink umbrella, which matches my nails.

The route is gently uphill, so I’m soon falling behind. We eventually enter a wood, and there’s a point where we descend some steep steps into a valley, only to climb up some more at the other side. On the way back, I comment that I don’t know why they just didn’t build a bridge across it!As we get closer to the Abbey, there’s a long descent to the road, and my heart is already sinking at the thought that if it’s downhill now, it’s going to uphill on the way back.

When we arrive at the Abbey, we head for the tea shop (newly opened this year, and thank goodness for that). We have lunch, and V consults the map for the first time. I’m tempted by the fact that in 20 minutes there’s a bus to Helmsley, but no, I’m told, I’m walking back. As I walk along the road, shopping bag in one hand, now stuffed with denim jacket, and handbag in the other, I comment that ‘Now I’m balanced’ This causes unintentional hilarity.

We start the climb through the trees, and it’s hard going, we’ve all slowed down. About halfway, my phone rings. It’s my boss. We talk about work, and I forget to be out of breath. By the time he rings off, the worst bit is over.

‘I think we should arrange for Val to have a work call every time she’s going up a hill’

We speed up towards the end of the walk, partially because it’s mainly downhill, but also because we want to get back to the shops before they shut. We do, and then debate whether to have tea before heading home, but it’s started raining again, so we head home. Oh, my aching feet - no blisters though!

*Title courtesy of J, as we all set out with our handbags

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home