Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, May 03, 2007

'It's like Whitby Abbey steps - twice!'



‘Be honest, did you think I’d wimp out?’
‘Yes, I did’

Cat decided that she wanted to climb the 414 steps of the Campanile di Giotto. I did this 17 years ago, and wasn’t sure if I could do it again – after all, I get out of breath climbing upstairs, so I was a little worried. I did want to try though, to prove that I could still do it.

I don’t think I made my final decision until we were going in, and even then I was thinking, ‘I’ll stop, if it gets too much’.

Well, I did stop, for quite a while, at each level, but I made it. Sadly, the photographic evidence is on film, so you’ll just have to believe me. They’re put up a sort of wire mesh though, which wasn’t there before. Health and safety again, I guess. The views are certainly spectacular, and we could look down on our rooftop terrace where we’d had breakfast.

After we reached ground level again, I heard myself saying ‘you know, we should climb York Minster one day’. I may have been delusional owing to the altitude!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Val, you make it sound like I forced you (as if that would even be possible!). I didn't force her people, let the records show that please!

Fantastic views though, can't wait to get the photos developed!

Cx

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Val said...

I didn't mean it to! People, she didn't force me - in fact she was going to go up on her own, and wave to me on the roof terrace.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home