Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Stendahl's Syndrome

It’s our first full day in Firenze* and when I see the sign saying that the expected queuing time is two hours, I’m very glad we’ve pre-booked tickets for the Uffizi Gallery. Finding the correct door to collect the tickets proves to be a bit of a challenge though.

As we climb the stairs, I’m already slightly over-awed at the space (and yes, in my head, I’m wearing velvet, and silk, and pearls, circa 16th C. - maybe they should introduce dressing up?!) The first few rooms are full of crucifixions, and ‘madonna and child’s, and remind me of the Byzantine art we saw in the Haghia Sophia in Istanbul. As we wander from room to room, the whole development of western art unfolds before us.

The ‘stars’ of the collection are the famous Renaissance pieces, ‘The Birth of Venus’, ‘Primavera’, but there are equally stunning not so famous pieces, women with beautiful tranquil faces, and enigmatic men. We reach the Tribune with its Medici portraits, and I’m fascinated to see the faces of the people who were responsible for so much of this, not just as patrons of the artists, but as the shapers of the city. It’s an incredible demonstration of power and influence.

As we continue, and one hour stretches to two, I’m beginning to get Renaissance overload, and be at risk of Stendahl’s Syndrome**. So much art does go to your head. We take a ‘breather’, in the café which overlooks the Piazza, only, you can’t look over, as you’re not allowed to stand on the parapet! It’s pretty quiet, although there are too may pigeons for my liking.

*For we must indeed have the Italian spelling and pronunciation
**Apparently they still have about 10 cases a year, according to my guidebook

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your link mentions Paris Syndrome too! I wasn't sure that you'd believed me when I told you about that!

I think one could spend a week in the Uffizi and still not get anywhere near to appreciating everything fully, so no wonder it hurts the brain to try! And besides, you should always leave something for next time!

Cx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home