Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, November 18, 2006

What is this feeling?

I sat up last night watching Children in Need, just so that I could see the cast of Wicked performing 'What is this feeling?'. You do have to put up with an awful lot of dross, but it was worth it in the end. Neither Elphaba or Glinda were the actors I saw last Saturday. Last night it was Idina Menzel, and the Glinda standby actress, Annalene Beechey, who, in the extreme close-up of TV, was less assured in her role, but I still loved it.

I thought Idina was amazing, her whole performance in that short extract portraying Elphaba's isolation at that part of the show, but also her intelligence. Her timing was impeccable, and I love the fact that she'd 'de-greenified' after the show, only to put it all back on in the tv studio, so that it would be 'fresh'

And just how much did I love her Wicked Witch cackle at the end of the song? A lot - I don't think Kerry Ellis did that!

What is this feeling? Oh yes, it's another obsession.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home