Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The biggest blog in history

Today bloggers have been asked to record their day for posterity as one day in history by History Matters, so I have. Here's my account of my day

Tuesday 17 October 2006

What did I do today? Not very much really. I got up around 9 – I’ve got very lazy on days when I’m not working – had breakfast – two slices of toast, knowing that I wouldn’t be able to eat anything else till the evening as I had a hospital appointment in the afternoon. I’ve been dreading it, but actually couldn’t dread the actual day for too long, as I only opened the appointment letter yesterday. Yes, I know, I could have missed it, but I didn’t, and at least I only had last night, and today, to stress about it.

I did some ironing – oh, how I hate it, but the pile was so large it was threatening to fall off the chair. I then went out, first to Tescos for food – mainly cat food really, but I got some other bits as well, well, £15 worth anyway. Then on to Monks Cross, I went into Marks and Spencer, and then into Laura Ashley, which had a sale on. Oh dear. Well, my excuse was I needed to take my mind off the hospital, and I’m looking for something to wear to my friend’s birthday ‘do’ in December. I tried on quite a few things, and ended up with a black skirt, and a fitted silk top, both of which are ‘going out’ clothes – suitable for the theatre, or a meal out, at least. In my heart, I knew I didn’t need either of them, and it was mainly ‘comfort buying’.

On the way home I stopped at the Toyota Garage, and looked at some cars. I’ve arranged a test drive in a Yaris for Friday. I’m pretty sure I won’t get one though, as I found the salesman far too smarmy, and disliked his style of calling my by my name 6 times in the space of about 2 minutes.

Once back, I logged onto the computer for a while, and checked all the sites I regularly visit. Blogs of friends, a couple of fan sites and forums, The Stage, and checked my emails, dealing with a couple of work related ones. I was filling in time till I had to go out again,

My appointment wasn’t until 5.20pm, but I got there early, and was appalled at the price of car parking at the hospital - £2.60 for two hours (well, I was sure I’d be delayed). I was actually in, and out, by my original appointment time, so for once well done to the NHS. As I walked out I thought about the times I’d been to that hospital, as a visitor, and as a member of staff, as I used to work in the adjacent hospital. Some happy, and some very sad memories. I also remembered having a guided tour round it before it opened. It’s changed a lot, and had bits built onto it over the years.

As for my evening, well, it was just watching tv, and a bit of reading. There really wasn’t very much on, and I found myself watching an episode of Dr Who for about the 4th time, well, if there’s nothing else on, you can’t beat a bit of David Tennant. Later I watched an episode of ‘The Amazing Mrs Pritchard’ starring Jane Horrocks. It’s a drama series which is now about 3 episodes in, but this was the first I’d seen. It was quite good, a little quirky around the edges, and pretty unchallenging, but it was good to see some strong roles for actresses of a certain age.

So, that was it, my day –pretty ordinary and unexciting really.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home