Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The History Boys

I went to see this the other night – only the fourth time I’ve been to the cinema this year, as opposed to my 30-odd trips to the theatre, and, this film is an adaptation of a play I really want to see at the theatre – just missed it on the current tour, as it’s been in Bradford and Hull in the last month!

I did want to see the original National Theatre cast though, and that’s who are in the film. Maybe it was better to see the film first, as I usually have issues with film adaptations (or any adaptations really) As I now have a mental image of Cat heaving a huge sigh, I will add that yes, I know that they are different media, with different forms and conventions and therefore generate different responses.

To move on, I loved it. It was gentle, funny, and moving, and also had some interesting things to say about education, being pitched at the time (1983) when people were just starting to change the way the things were taught. The acting was excellent, once you’d got past the fact that none of the boys actually looked 18 (they’re been performing in the play or 3 years, and I think you can get away with more on stage). The one who did, and who I thought gave the best, and most moving, performance, was Samuel Barnett*, as Posner.

My favourite scene was one where he and Richard Griffiths as the old style teacher sat and discussed a Thomas Hardy poem, and the way that some writing can just strike a chord with you. It was, quite simply, beautiful.

*He’s from Whitby, you know – fancy that!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw it yesterday and loved it too. Brilliant acting and the scene you mentioned was one of my favourites too. One v nice boy in the group as well (the one who wears red trainers throughout but you probably already guessed which one I'd pick!).

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Val said...

Lol - I spotted his feet, and thought of you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home