Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Mine Eyes Dazzle

Occasionally there’s a theatre production that blows your socks off, very occasionally there’s one that takes the shoes with it as well. And ‘The Duchess of Malfi’ at the West Yorkshire Playhouse was one of those.

It was the best production I’ve seen in a long time – ‘Stratford standard’ in my speak – possibly helped because most of the cast were veterans of either the RSC or the National, so that the language came across as clear and intelligible.

I loved it. The set was brilliant – glistening marble, but things were fraying at the edges and behind it something was rotten in the state of Malfi, as was revealed in Act 2. I wasn’t sure how a Jacobean play was going to work in the Quarry Theatre, but they used the space, and the wide stage very well. I think what also helped was being so close to the action – 5 rows from the front was just perfect.

What also helped was the fact that it was for me a relatively unfamiliar play. I’d only seen it once before (and now I check, that was 17 years ago, so it’s hardly surprising I’d forgotten a lot of the plot) so it was able to shock and surprise me in a way that Shakespeare, much as I love it, just can’t anymore. There were times when I was, quite literally, holding my breath. As horror piled on horror at the beginning of the second act, I was having to bit my lip to stop myself sobbing out loud. I’d forgotten that the Duchess dies in Act 4, and, without giving too much away* one of the theatrical effects was so brilliantly pulled off, I just believed it.

So, on to the performances. I loved Imogen Stubbs as the Duchess, and Sebastian Harcombe as Bosola, was less sure about Timothy Walker as Ferdinand in Act 1, but he made up for it in Act 2, and Guy Williams as the Cardinal was chilling (even though I found the portrayal of Julia’s death reminiscent of Episode 2 of Torchwood!)

It is a great play, with echoes of Hamlet (of course) and other Revenge Tragedies, but some of the lines sounded incredibly modern. I came out of the theatre absolutely hyper – if only I could have had a drink. If there was a stage door, I’d have stage doored – as it was, just before we left I told Imogen** how much I’d enjoyed it – I believe in giving feedback.

And all this is why I love theatre, and why film, and tv, for all it can be, can never really compare. Did I mention I loved it?

*ok, I’ve told you she dies, but then it’s Jacobean tragedy
** well, I did first see her on stage 21 years ago, so I think I can get away with first names.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home