Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, November 03, 2006

Two households, both alike in dignity

It was my drama class last night. We’ve missed the last two weeks because of half term last week, and then the week before they were opening the new drama studio. Rude, I call it, not to have invited us! It’s called The Cube, and we were supposed to be in there last night, but as the heating wasn’t on, and it was a bit of an ‘Ice’ Cube, it was back to the dining hall for us!

We were doing voice work, and Shakespeare. As the tutor (Kate) said ‘there’s someone here who likes Shakespeare…’ J piped up ‘that’d be Val’. We were doing the Prologue from Romeo and Juliet, one line each, in all different styles, cowboy and horror film being particular highlights!!

During our break…‘It’s so difficult to follow, I wished they’d just give us a few lines from East Enders’

I held my tongue.

Afterwards, we started on Hamlet. Kate said that she’d seen the play 43 times (respect is due, as I tried to tot up how many times I’ve seen it, and only got to about 12). She gave us ‘To be, or not to be’ to learn as homework, (well, up to ‘Ay, there’s the rub’) and I was getting really excited…until I realised that I can’t get to next week’s class, so I won’t get to play Hamlet.

She’s also really keen that we do a play next year, and had two suggestions, one of which, ‘Our Country’s Good’, I would love to do. I think everyone else will go for Willy Russell’s ‘Stags and Hens’ though.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home