Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Have a nice life

Someone actually said that to me yesterday! Yes, I finally left work last night. Well, it’s only been one month beyond my leaving date, but bizarrely I didn’t know I was finishing until Monday of this week, so it was still a bit unexpected. By yesterday, however, it felt right, like it was time to go.

I got presents; jewellery, wine, and things with cats on. To be fair, I will miss some of it, (though I am actually struggling to think which bits), I just won’t miss the driving, or the M62 in winter.

It’s strange. You work with people for a period of time, seeing them almost daily, and then, when you leave a job, there’s every possibility that you’ll never see them again, particularly if like me you were working a considerable distance away from home. It’s not like I’m going to run into any of them in Tescos, after all. What you have in common is the job, and the company politics, and then suddenly once you're not part of that any more the connection is broken.

I'd say they don't really know me, but I guess they do a little, looking at my presents, but they don't know what really makes me tick. And I've worked there for 19 months, and never mentioned Griffin once*. I've mentioned Foxy a couple of times, but I think I got away with it!

*It's amazing how much 'I'm going to a gig' can cover, but then there haven't been many of those in the last 12 months.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home