Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, December 18, 2009

And now, the end is here

I’ve just listened to the final Wake Up To Wogan, and, truth be told, I’m feeling a bit emotional.

Yes, it was a little self indulgent in its music choices, and as the team around him finally got to say ‘thank you’, but if he couldn’t do that on his last show, when could he. His final speech to his listeners brought tears to my eye.

As a broadcaster, he seems to have been around my whole life. I finally migrated to the Radio 2 Breakfast Show when Chris Evans* took over on Radio 1, as I couldn't stand him. At first it seemed like an admission that I was getting older, but I soon realised what I'd been missing.

What he does seems so simple, and yet is so skilful. He’s put a smile on my face so many times on my drive to work, even on the bleakest of days. I have laughed out loud, often just at the fact that he is laughing so much. The humour is always gentle, and never bitter, the mocking affectionate. I have sometimes remained in the car after arriving at my destination, just to hear the end of a ‘Janet and John’ story.

And then there’s the music. Artists that otherwise we’d probably never have heard of. Eva Cassidy, Beth Nilsson Chapman (not to mention Katie Mehlua).

Over the years I have laughed, and occasionally cried, with him. I know he will be back in the New Year with a Sunday show, but it truly is the end of an era.

Thank you, and farewell, Togmeister!

*How strange it is that I now love his drivetime show and that he is the one who will be taking over in January, and. He’s mellowed with age.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, do not mention Katie Melua.

Cat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home