Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Final Training

Oh yes, I’ve been training hard, having recovered from my ‘injury’ (which didn’t actually take long, but then I have no experience of such things, hence my panic).

I can’t actually believe we do the Ribbon Walk in two days time. It seemed a long way away when we signed up. Along the route, sadly one of our team members has had to pull out, but we’ve also gained a member* of our ladies walking group who will be joining us on the day.

Over the last few Sundays, we’ve done some longer walks, starting with 7 miles (with breaks), moving on to an incredibly boring (and hot) walk of 7.5 miles, without a tea shop (won’t be doing that one again). The other week we even did a morning walk of 6 miles, and an evening walk of 4.5 miles to fit around J’s afternoon concert. So that was 10.5 miles in a day, though with a considerable break in the middle. We were both shattered by the end of the day though.

Last weekend our ladies group had decided to do a 9 mile walk, so this was our ‘trial run’, as there was no tea shop or pub en route. It was also my trial with my handbag, and cakes, and other equipment. I did not look like a serious walker.

After about 4 miles, we reached a seat under a tree, and J and I proceeded to bring out, and eat, crisps and glittery pink iced buns, much to the astonishment of the others. We then continued, walking back along the river. At times it felt a bit like a route march, and not that leisurely, so I want to pace things more gradually at the weekend. It’s not a race, and it’s not about how quickly we complete it. As long as we get round before they close the course, that’s fine.

Once again though, we were pretty knackered by the end. I guess I’m glad that the following day is a Sunday.

Not sponsored me yet - here's the link

*who claims to have done ‘no training’, but was out at the front on Sunday’s walk, and is clearly much fitter than us.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can do this...and in style.
I have lots of pink things for us to use.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home