Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, M&S

‘J suggests we leave at 5, and go to M&S on the way home’

The note is stuck under my nose as I sit, head down, at the computer, a position I’ve been in almost all day, apart from when I’ve lifted it to curse and swear at the screen (and at my lack of formatting skills). It’s looking like a good idea to me.

Earlier, we’d been talking about the ‘Penny Bazaar’, in celebration of 125 years of M&S, and wondering what they had. Despite the feedback being ‘not much’, we decide to stop off at Warrington on the way home.

My first impression is that it’s huge, much bigger than York. My second impression is that the ‘Penny Bazaar’ is long gone, but we’re soon exclaiming over the range of vintage inspired clothes, and food. I pick up a box of fruit jelly sweets, marked 'originally' 1 shilling. They’re now £2.99, so I guess that’s inflation for you.

Despite having no money, I find I’m buying a dress* and a pair of summer wedges. I doubt if I'll keep the dress, but when I try it on later, I like it. The shoes are, however, having to go back, as the straps are too tight over my fat ankles.

This morning I decide to go over to the Monks Cross shopping park to take them back, not realising that the shops don’t open till 9.30. At 9, there’s already a queue outside M&S for the 'Penny Bazaar'. While I’m waiting, I pop into Starbucks for a coffee, and join the queue about 20 past, as I might as well see what they have.

I’m handed a leaflet, showing the range of items. There are 20 to choose from, and each customer can have up to 5. I go for a silk scarf, a diamante necklace, and more mundanely, a mug, a tea towel and a pair of socks. Not bad for 5p. I return the wedges, but I get another pair of 1960’s inspired shoes in place of them, so it’s turned into a fairly expensive couple of days.

*one of the vintage ones, which, sad to say, reminds me of a dress I had about 30 years ago. It’s
supposedly inspired by the 1940’s, but then so was my other one.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home