Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, February 02, 2009

The new season of handbag walks

So you thought that we’d stopped? Wrong. We’ve done two walks in January, the first on New Year’s Day. Admittedly not many, but better than last year, when we didn’t start till February.

The New Year walk was around Terrington. As it was out of a different book, we took the almost unprecedented step of having an OS map with us. It was also bitterly cold. From the picture, I almost look like a serious walker – well, apart from the pink hat, pashmina and handbag, that is.



The second walk was longer. 5 miles this time, around Ripon. It was much milder, though very muddy (so nothing changes then). It had all the elements, starting with a lovely tea shop near the cathedral, and a little shopping, followed by the walk. At one point we had to ‘strike unerringly’ across a field. By the time we were at the other side, I think we’d taken half the field with us.

It was pretty heavy going, and I did feel exhausted when we finished. I’d also just about worn a hole in my walking socks. Never thought I’d be doing enough walking to wear them out. So then it was time for a late lunch at another tea shop, and a bit more shopping. I even bought some new walking socks (proper ones, not from Tesco’s this time) in the sales.

Here’s to the new season!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home