Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, January 19, 2009

Fab-u-lous!

Indulge me on this one, and be grateful you don’t have to listen to me (though for some of you who read this, you might have to do that as well!) I will understand if you leave halfway through!

Remember the Jones boy, and my excitement when I saw that he was doing this year’s Strictly Come Dancing Tour? Well, my excitement led to my purchase of the single front row ticket for Newcastle that was still available, and clearly had my name on it!

Yesterday, the day finally came. I’d not been to the Metro Arena before, but I really like it. It’s a good size, without being so huge that the performers look like ants – not that there was much chance of that from where I was sitting.

Expensive souvenir programme* purchased, complete with score cards, I took my seat. Right at the front, towards the judges seats, and near where the couples stood to receive their scores. The only downside of this was that the dances are very much performed 'out front' which means I did get a lot of back views. Could have been better directed I think, for an Arena event!

I immediately loved the set – all sparkle and glitter (and you know how I’m a girl who loves my glitter). Then it was time for everyone to make their entrance – Kate Thornton, the Judges, and then the contestants. Most of the outfits were those worn for the same dances on tv, the only new ones being for ‘new’ partnerships, so of course Flavia had a new dress for her waltz with Gethin. First we had the ballroom round.

First up were Tom and Camilla doing their quickstep. It is probably my favourite of his ballroom dances, as I do like the solo tap dance at the start (though Len, predictably, isn’t keen). They did it well, and got a 38 (I wouldn’t have given it a 10 though!). I still can’t raise much enthusiasm for Tom. He was very much playing to the crowd, and I do find him smug, though maybe that’s just his face, and he can’t help it!

Next, we had Cherie and James with their American Smooth. Now, as you know, she was one of my early favourites this year, but didn’t really connect with the public. This was well danced, but not quite as ‘smooth’ as others. I do think ‘Layla’ is an odd choice of music for an AS too. Score: 35.

Kenny and Ola next. Now, I really got to like Kenny, as he was fun, and didn’t take himself too seriously, and he was the same here. They did a Viennese Waltz, which was pretty good, and he had some fun banter with the judges. A point here, it seemed to me that much of the ‘banter’ around the scoring was scripted, and I guess I’ll find out just how much when I go again. Score: 30.

Then Jodie and Ian, who I’d really liked on the show. Their partnership came over as just as much fun, and as close as it had always appeared. Ian had a lovely interaction with the audience too. They did an American Smooth, which I thought was lovely, and very elegant, but the judges called her flat footed! They scored 31, and I felt could have been marked higher.

Next up were Rachel and Vincent with their Tango. It was excellent, very clean, and they moved beautifully together, but for me, there remains something about Rachel which doesn’t connect emotionally**. They got a 39 for it, however, with only Craig not giving a perfect score.

And then it was the moment I’d been waiting for. Before the dance, there was a short video about the couple, and they spoke of Gethin and Flavia previously being rivals, and now partners, showing that moment in the semi final when Len chose Matt and Flavia over Gethin and Camilla – not a good choice, as I still can’t watch it without pain*** - and then they were on, and taking their places in the centre of the dance floor. In the main, it was the same waltz he had danced with Camilla (believe me, I know, I’ve watched it so many times), most of the moves, the music, with a different start and ending. I thought it was beautiful. Quiet, charming and slightly heartbreaking. He looked extremely elegant in his tail suit. In the comments, it was said there wasn’t quite enough sway, and I could see what they meant, partly, I think because Flavia is much shorter than Camilla, and he still seems to be learning how to work with that. Also the partnership doesn’t yet have, and probably will never have, the chemistry that he had with Camilla, because they haven’t gone though the show together. Still, they got 38, with 10’s from Len and Bruno.

Next were Julian and Lilia, another new partnership, as he previously danced with Erin. They did a quickstep, which was fun, but technically pretty poor. I did find myself wondering yet again how he made the final at the expense of ‘my’ Aled. They were pretty much slated by the judges, and Julian responded that Lilia had messed up a bit, but then they’re there for the comedy value, and they were fun. Score: 28

Finally, the home town girl, Jill and Darren with a foxtrot to ‘All That Jazz’. Having come to the show about halfway through series 2, I’m less familiar with their dances, apart from the famous jive, but this was excellent, and she was able to express her personality in the dance in a way that Rachel couldn’t. They got a rousing reception, and a score of 39, which they pretty much deserved.

Then we could start voting. This year, the decision rests totally on the audience vote, with the judges scores not counting, but I was already aware that Rachel and Vincent had, to my surprise, come out as winners in the first three shows. Still, I was going to make sure my boy got a few votes.

The second half began with a professional group dance, part paso, part jive - danced with amazing energy.

Next it was time for the Latin dances

Tom and Camilla: Samba – it had plenty of energy, but it’s a difficult to dance to score well in, and the judges were quite critical. They got a score of 34.

Cherie and James: Rumba – one of my favourite dances from the early weeks of the last series, which, for a moment, almost made me like James Jordan. It was beautiful, but I do wish they’d stop going on about Cherie’s age! They got a well deserved 38

Kenny and Ola: Paso Doble, with Kenny in the kilt. Yes, they got slated, yes, it was barely a paso, but they had fun, ripping Ola’s dress in the process . Score: 23

Jodie and Ian: Jive – their last dance on the series, performed when Jodie had the flu, so I was interested to see a fully fit Jodie perform it. It was good, but she’s not a natural Latin dancer, and I was surprised to see it get the same as their AS, 31.

Rachel and Vincent: Rumba – the dance which was the turning point for Rachel. It was beautifully danced, and got the first 40 of the night.

Gethin and Flavia: Salsa – he was wearing the famous ‘I didn’t know this was see-though’ shirt that Tess Daly (and the rest of us) so loved, and it was pretty much the same routine, again with a slightly different beginning and ending. And he certainly didn’t lack any hip action! The only thing, for me, was that the first time they danced this, it was so much a part of that evening, I doubt if that energy and passion will ever be re-captured. Technically, I think it was danced better, but it lacked a bit of emotion, which again is probably a combination of me being a bit too familiar with the dance, and the change of partner. It still scored another 38 though, and I’m not going to complain about that.

Julian and Lilia: Samba, complete with diamante maracas! Pretty much a dancing disaster for Craig, who gave it a two. Len gave it ‘Seven’, which was his lowest score of the night. I think he’d lost all his lower paddles. Score: 22, the lowest of the evening.

Jill and Darren: Jive – we’ve seen it so often, but it’s still fabulous. For me, probably that, (and Gethin’s waltz), were the dances that I’d have got on my feet for. They got a deserved 40.

So, at the end of the competition, we had a tie at the top, between Rachel and Vincent, and Jill and Darren on 79, and Gethin and Flavia were third on 76.
While the voting continued, there was a show dance performed by Matthew Cutler and Kristina Rihanoff which was excellent, followed by a group dance to music from Moulin Rouge, complete with huge blue ostrich feather fans, glitter balls and chandeliers. Gethin and Flavia were dancing at my side of the floor, so no complaints there. Towards the end of the dance, the men leapt over the barrier into the audience, and the next thing I knew both Tom and Gethin were waving feather fans in my face!

Finally, it was time for the results, and Kate Thornton asked the judges who they’d like to see win. Bless Craig, for he said Gethin and Flavia. Arlene and Bruno went for Rachel and Vincent, and Len wasn’t allowed to say, as he would have the deciding vote if there was a tie.

In the event, that wasn’t needed, and they lined up to be eliminated couple by couple until only three were left, Jill and Darren, Rachel and Vincent, and Gethin and Flavia. Of course, I hoped, but really, I knew (and should probably have saved my money, but you don’t do you?). They were the next eliminated which once again brought it down to J&D and R&V, with R&V being announced the winners. Of course, it’s not really about the results on the tour (but I’d like my boy to have a win!), but about the spectacle, and enjoying the dance.

Everyone got to their feet and cheered as the couples (plus Bruno, who had to be restrained by Gethin and Kenny from removing his shirt) took their bows, and danced – and Gethin did a shimmy at our section of the audience.

I loved it! As for Mr Jones, well, I may not have spoken to him yet, but it’s the long game.

*As always, a bit of a rip off, with no new photos other than those taken as promo shots for the series, some of which are quite old by now, and one page biogs for each celebrity and dancer, and the judges.
** Given the result, maybe it's just me!
***Give me about 30 years

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home