Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Flying the flag...for York

‘What’s with all the Eurovision?’ I whisper to J at the interval. We’re watching York Panto. This year it’s Dick Turpin. Not that it matters, as there’s never really any plot, just the ‘same old rubbish’ and the same faces year after year, and that’s the fun of it.

When Old Mother Shipton looks out into the audience for the ‘boys and girls’, she struggles. I can’t see a single child in the dress circle, and we only spot one in the bar.

Last year, they did a routine to Wild Dances, the Eurovision winner from Istanbul. This year, in Act 1, we’ve had Love Shine a Light. I’m starting to think someone here is a Eurovision fan.

When Act 2 opens with a vampire rock version* of Hard Rock Hallelujah, I’m convinced. We then get the most brilliant MYMU** routine seen this side of Bucks Fizz. It’s spot on, and I am in fits – so much so that the chap in front turns round at the end and says ‘you have an amazing laugh’, which I take to mean I was very loud.

Finally, we have a version of Flying the Flag, which tips me over the edge. I am almost crying with laughter. But it works really well.

Apparently, this year the V&A are recording it for posterity. It deserves it. I still didn’t get a Wagon Wheel though!

*Too difficult to explain, honestly
** Making Your Mind Up, of course!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home