Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

And then there were three

It was last Monday that decided me. I’d been in Manchester on Sunday night, and really enjoyed it for the second time, but by Monday, I was doing far too much work, and everything felt a bit flat.

I did a bit of on-line searching. It wasn’t difficult to find a good seat, particularly when I only wanted one, and, when you think about it, Sheffield is actually the closest venue to home. Next thing I knew, I’d booked for Friday night.

I was on the left hand side of the auditorium, so I’ve now seen if from left, right and end on. I think that’s probably enough.

Once again I loved it. Of course the highlight was my boy. Quite, quite, beautiful. And the dancing was pretty good too.

The waltz has really developed over the past few weeks, and is now so smooth and beautiful. They seem to glide across the floor, the epitome of what a ballroom dance should be. As Len always says, the waltz doesn’t have the ‘wow’ factor of some of the other dances, but it’s my favourite, as it has all the romance. The ending seems both technically complex, and utterly gorgeous, as Flavia twirls away from him, and then leans back, as Gethin lowers her to the floor, with her neck resting on his arm. This time, they got 39, and it really should have been 40.

As you know, the salsa hasn’t thrilled me as much as I’d hoped at previous performances, despite ‘that shirt’, but this time it was brilliant. It had great energy and for the first time he seemed to really feel the emotion of the dance, as well as having the moves (and boy, can those hips move). Again they got 39, with even Craig giving them a 10. A ten. For Latin. From Craig!!

After the dance, as they received their comments, he admitted he’d elbowed Flavia in the eye whilst they were rehearsing backstage, which was why she was crying. He was incredibly apologetic about it, and utterly lovely. As they left the dance floor, he swept her into his arms, and carried her up the steps and off stage. It was a very Rhett Butler moment!

As for everything else, well, I thought R&V’s rumba was the best I’d seen it. Julian was hilarious (he finally won on Sunday night in Sheffield!), and Jill and Darren were fabulous.

That’s it for this year. I’d certainly go again, but possibly not as many times as this year. Unless, of course, there’s someone who catches my eye in the next series who goes on to do the tour.

As for the Jones boy, well, as Cat said, you can’t really go and see him ‘presenting’, which makes things a little difficult, but he’ll be back on TV, and I’m sure an opportunity will arise someday.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home