Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, October 27, 2008

Strictly Update

I have to admit to being a little underwhelmed by this year’s Strictly so far. I keep telling myself it’s early days still, but no one has actually grabbed my attention yet. I do like Austin, but he has a rather annoying way of watching Erin while he’s dancing, rather than performing out to the audience. I also like Tom, but he doesn’t seem to have that special spark (but then I was always going to compare him, wasn't I). If I have a favourite at all, it’s Cherie, mostly because of the beautiful rumba that she and James did a few weeks ago (I have never liked him in previous series, feeling him to be a bit of a bully), but also because she was ‘my’ first RSC Viola*, all those years ago.

I found the last couple of weeks pretty disappointing. I usually love the American Smooth, but wasn’t overwhelmed by any of them (I thought Lisa and Brendan were overmarked), and the sambas were pretty average. This week, I was expecting some pretty dramatic pasos, but they were all pretty lack lustre. The Viennese Waltz is a beautiful dance, but can be difficult to make exciting – last year we had a some lovely examples, and they’re hard to forget – this year, well, it all felt a bit pedestrian.

Then, last night, in between programmes on ITV, there was a trailer for next year’s Strictly live show in Newcastle. I didn’t go this year, mainly because the only person I wanted to see in it was James Martin. For next year, they were trailing the celebrities, Julian Clary (ok, yes, funny, but not a great dancer), Jill Halfpenny (very good, but I really wasn’t as addicted in series 2), so far, so not making me book, and GETHIN JONES. He was never going to do it while he was with Blue Peter, but this year, he’s available!

I have absolutely no willpower when it comes to thing like this, and just know it’s only going to be a matter of time before I book.

*Newcastle Theatre Royal 1980 - it was magical, and I can still recall it so clearly

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why wait - get to flexing the credit card! x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home