Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Friday, December 26, 2008

Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Every couple of weeks or so, I visit my aunt, who’s in a care home about 10 minutes from me. It can be very hard going to try and hold a conversation, but last weekend, when I arrived a local theatre group were just setting up to do a bit of a concert for the residents.

Their repertoire was ‘interesting’ to say the least. White Christmas, Somewhere over the Rainbow, yes, (but I’m not sure the Eva Cassidy version was appreciated). I was less sure about Good Morning Baltimore, from Hairspray, and the Time Warp, however, by this point, most of the back row were asleep.

‘Now it’s time for our grand finale, so let's all sing along to Always Look on the Bright Side of Life.

I couldn’t help it, I wanted to laugh. I couldn't imagine a more inappropriate setting. But they launched into it with gusto!

‘Always look on the bright side of death,
just before you draw your terminal breath…’

I had to stifle the giggles as I looked around. Certainly no one else was seeing the funny side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home