Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Is it wrong to have traditions after 3 visits?

I was in Bradford last night. For the first time since Good Friday 2005, when we memorably sat in the Love Apple and wrote a ‘Happy Easter’ card for Jesus*. I got lost on my way in, and couldn’t find the car park**. I guess you could say I don’t go there a lot, and I’m clearly very transparent, as when I mentioned at work that I was off to Bradford, my boss immediately asked ‘are you going to the Alhambra?’ The city centre looked as unfinished as it had over two years ago.

Infrequent as my visits are, there are traditions to be followed. The Love Apple is the pre-theatre venue of choice, although it was sadly lacking in actors last night, and could only offer members of a band setting up for a Halloween gig. There was a bit of high pitched squealing though, as Corinne and I bonded over a Stephen Fry book on poetry while eating the hummus.

Post show, we headed to the Sir Titus Salt. Yes, it is a Wetherspoon’s, but it’s a Wetherspoon’s in a converted swimming baths, and also has memories. Of actors, who also weren’t very impressed with Bradford, Last night it also had a rowdy crowd from the University of Bradford (‘has Bradford even got a university?’) but thankfully they moved on, so we were generally able to discuss the production in peace.

As for Comedy of Errors, well, that was so good it’s a whole separate post.

*As in JCS, We're really not that odd.

**I also got lost on the way out, and began to despair of ever finding my way back onto the M62

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home