Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

I'm sure it didn't used to be like this

The meeting was held in the Cunard Building, one of the ‘three graces’ on Liverpool’s Pierhead. I’ve never been inside any of them before.

As we walked up the stairs, we passed some beautifully restored adverts for the great liners of the past (not the Titanic, obviously! Though the picture of the Majestic looked like a sister ship). It’s all very impressive.

It’s right next door to the Royal Liver Building, ‘home’ of the Liver Birds. We adjourn there for lunch. It’s cavernous and echoes with the sound of feet on marble floors. I'm trying to make a call on my phone, and I can't hear a word. There’s stained glass, and an indoor fountain.

So I’m a little thrown when I get to the café servery. It's not what I was expecting, being stuck in a corner, but yes, I think I'd like a turkey sandwich, please.

‘Do you want that in a barm cake, luv?’

Somehow, this doesn’t quite fit with the setting, which is more Palm Court and afternoon tea.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home