Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, October 29, 2007

I guess I never learn

I’ve not written about Strictly yet this season. It’s still early days, after all. But this weekend’s fiasco, has prompted me to share my thoughts. You’d really think all my illusions about reality TV had been shattered long ago, but I guess there’s a little part of me that still believes.

First things first. I don’t like the new format, with the results show now on a Sunday. You know it’s recorded, if you wanted to go on the internet, you could easily find out the result, and it looses the momentum. And I think this week, I’d have rather have liked to see all the furore live!

I didn’t think I’d like the judges making the decision between the bottom two, either, but that hasn’t bothered me too much. I don’t like the ‘dance off ‘ though as it (usually) means we get to see two of the worst dances again. What we seem to be seeing is a huge increase in the ‘sympathy’ voting. Keeping bad dancers in at the expense of others.

Now I hadn’t really taken to either Penny or Gabby, but it is ridiculous for one of them to go and the likes of Kate, and Kenny, and John to be still in. It would actually have been fairer if Penny had gone last week, following her truly awful jive, and this week of the two of them, I thought she was the weaker.

As I said, it’s still early days, and I don’t have a favourite as yet. Gethin is the highest in the cuteness stakes - not that there's a great deal of choice this year. His dancing needs a lot of work though. I like Aleysha for her energy and sense of fun. Matt was very good on Saturday, and has already developed a lot, but he’s not a favourite at the moment.

I guess it’s still anyone’s game, but I hope some of the bad dancers will start to go from here on, and this has given a wake up call to the voters. Not me though. I never vote... well, at least not till the last couple of weeks!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home