Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Handbag Walks, Part 9





The last time I went to Fountains Abbey was April last year. Shona's birthday. I remember it vividly, particularly the whinging that went on about the 'long walk', and the fact, having reached the Abbey, we sent Cat and Steve back for the picnic. Corinne joined the National Trust that day. I didn't, it took me another year.

On Friday, I went again. This time we started at the Abbey end. The weather was glorious, as good as we've had all summer - I even wore my sun hat!

As we walked through the park, it didn't feel very far at all. Of course, we stopped for tea and cake when we reached the other end. That was 'lunch'. Walking back we decided to go up over the hill to the High Ride. There'd been no chance of that last time. I discovered new areas of the grounds that I'd never seen before, including the Temple of Fame (above). There was a lot of posing done. By the time we finished, and walked up the hill, only slightly out of breath, it hadn't felt like a long walk at all. We were soon back to the visitor centre, and yes, there was another tea shop.

I think I'm really getting the benefit of my NT membership.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home