Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, November 01, 2007

'I to the world am like a drop of water, that in the ocean seeks to find another drop...'

When I saw that the RSC production of Comedy of Errors was touring to Bradford, I was in two minds about going. A couple of years ago I was a bit ‘Comedied’ out, have seen it about 3 times in 12 months. It’s not a play that can stand too much repeated viewing in a short period unless it’s a very good production.

But, they sent me the flier, it wasn’t out of my way, and Corinne is still working towards her theatrical quota for the year, so I found myself booking. How glad I was that I did. I was recently reviewing my list of productions that I’ve seen this year (hey, I’m a theatre snob, it’s what I do). There were plenty productions that I’d really enjoyed, but none with the ‘wow’ factor. Now there is.

Nancy Meckler’s production has been revived from two years ago to tour, with a new cast, but most of them have already been working together as an ensemble in an acclaimed production of Twelfth Night*. It showed, as every part, down to the smallest supporting role, had a real character.

It was also incredibly inventive and slick. The characters were cartoonish, and slightly grotesque in their appearance. It was as though Antipholus and Dromio had wandered into a nightmarish world which was swirling crazily around them. The production had real pace and energy. I loved the use of puppets at the beginning to act out Aegeon’s long (and to be honest, usually pretty boring) tale of how the children were separated.

It was interesting to see the two Antipholuses (Antipholi?) played by real life brothers Jason and Simon Merrells, though they could have actually looked more alike if they had had the same coloured hair. Chris New** and Iain McKee were excellent as the Dromios.

What was disappointing was the half empty theatre, which seemed to create a great gulf between the actors and the audience. It was a production that I felt needed to wrap its audience around it, to almost draw us into the bizarre world that it created, and at times it seemed a bit lost on a pros arch stage. There were times when I felt the actors were having to work really hard for a response. It was better in Act 2, as some people had been moved from elsewhere in the theatre which changed the atmosphere.

I was utterly surprised to find myself with tears in my eyes at the end as the four brothers circled, looking at each other with a sense of wonder.

I do rather love the RSC when they’re on form.

*which I really wanted to see, but didn’t get round to.
**one to watch out for I think

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home