Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Thursday, November 08, 2007

The dress and the bar

The dress’ came first. I saw it on Saturday, on a shopping trip that was my last gasp before I retired into the house for three days to wallow in my misery (I’ve had a cold!).

I loved it when I saw it on the rail. I knew it might be a mistake to try it on, as I really had no justification for buying it. It’s just that bit too dressy for the Christmas ‘do’s’ I’m going to. I tried it on. I loved it even more. I felt like I’d wandered in from a Regency novel – well, in my head at least. My friend’s verdict - ‘It’s very ‘you’’

Common sense prevailed and I reluctantly left it in the shop. But of course once you’ve fallen in love with a dress, nothing else quite comes close. I eventually bought a lacy jacket, but I’m not sure if I’ll keep it.

‘The dress’ has lingered in my mind all week. Then, last night, I discovered the perfect venue for it. We were trawling Lark Lane in Liverpool to find somewhere for tea.

All types of cuisine are there, but I parked opposite ‘Negresco’. The outside décor is all black, and inside I could see black, and red, and mirrors and chandeliers. It looked supremely Gothic. We looked at the menu. The prices weren’t too bad, so we went in.

Inside was even better; the walls were painted with ‘fin de siecle’ mask wearing figures, there was a huge candelabra with large candles dripping wax in one corner, and various masks were on display. The food was also fabulous. We had tapas, and it was different, and delicious. As I sat there, sadly without the glass of champagne that the setting deserved, as I was going on to a meeting, I so needed to be wearing ‘the dress’. I felt I’d found its true home.

The barman offered to show us the private dining rooms. I immediately wanted to hire one for a private party. In costume, obviously! It’s all the realms of fantasy of course, but I just can’t help being a drama queen.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home