Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Of course, it's all about the food

When I discovered that there was a food festival on in Hull, and the lovely James Martin was appearing, I mentioned it to Cat. So it was no surprise that Saturday found us baking…in the sunshine, as we watched cookery demos. It was like Saturday Kitchen, with smell-o-vision.

Now, I’ve always been pretty disparaging about Hull, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the centre, but then it’s a long time since I’ve been anywhere other than the theatre (and the pub next door).

There are some fab cafes by the water, and we found the ‘old town’ which was quite lovely, and we discovered the Land of Green Ginger! We even found time for shopping (but then, we usually do).

Of course, we also found James. He was on stage a lot! Judging an omelette cooking comp (they all looked pretty inedible to me, and it was noticeable he didn’t taste many of them), spinning sugar. I tried to encourage Cat to get up on stage when they wanted someone from the crowd, but she didn’t think it was the best way to meet him!

Later on as we watched a competition for the top cocktail maker/bartender, we found ourselves at the railings in front of the stage. James was due back on stage shortly. I commented that it had been a while since we’d been at the front for anyone, and it was pretty clear we weren’t going anywhere despite the baking sun and, in my case, the lack of sun cream. So, we watched his final demo, and we got to nibble on his honeycomb (which was yummy!)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home