Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Potter Crazy

Spoiler Free (though eye rolling may be induced)

At the start, let me say, I didn't queue. I wasn't in town at midnight watching magicians in Borders. But I knew I'd be buying Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on its release day. And there was a certain anticipation and excitement about the fact that we were finally going to know the end of the story.

I went into town yesterday morning, and it was everywhere. The price wars were all over. £6.99 in Woolies, but you had to spend £10, same in WH Smiths, but you had to spend £15. £8.99 in Waterstones. Borders seemed to have missed a trick and be advertising it at £6 off (a publishers price of £17.99). In Smiths, I moved on hurridly as a man of at least 50 was reading the last pages. Why? If you're a fan, it would ruin it, if not, why would you want to know unless you're going to spoil it for someone? I was actually worried that someone would inadvertently leak a bit of information.

I bought it in Tescos. It was £5 if you spent over £50, which I never do, unless it's Christmas, so for me, £10. It would have been cheaper in town, but I wasn't about to go back.

I got home, did some housework, had lunch, like I was putting off the moment, prolonging the anticipation, but settled down to read about 2pm. Shortly after starting I got a text from Dean, which seemed to be giving me a couple of spoilers. Nooooo. I hardly dare read any more texts. And there I sat, for hours. I broke off about two thirds of the way through to watch a film, partly, I think, to prolong the experience.

I finally finished it about 12.30am. I have a bit of a headache this morning. I loved it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home