Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, June 25, 2007

'It's like Aladdin's Cave'

(with apologies for the overuse of the word 'fabulous' in this blog)

It’s Cat’s first visit to Costume Hire, and like everyone, at first sight it’s all a bit overwhelming.

‘What are you after?’, P asks. ‘Brideshead, 1920’s, Oxbridge chic’ I explain. I already know where the 1920’s dresses are. She looks at me. ‘Judith Bliss, Hay Fever… and she wasn’t a stick insect’. She fishes out a vivid pink floral number, and I give it a try. Sadly, whilst she may not have been a stick insect, it’s unforgiving around the hips. I might get away with it, but it doesn’t feel right. I try another, it’s from Cabaret, and it’s silver lurex. It fits, and I’m swooshing around in it, but I know it’s not really picnic wear. I go for my next option, a black and gold pyjama suit, which fits. I put it on, and immediately I’m creating a character. I find a hat which isn’t really in period, but it looks much better than the cloche hat that I try on, so I go for it.

Cat meanwhile has a selection of day dresses, and settles on one which is ‘sailor inspired’ teaming it with a blue beret and a fabulous pair of blue character shoes. Meanwhile, P and I catch up on a bit of theatrical gossip.

Once we’ve decided, it’s playtime, and I fish out a fabulous blue silk gown from Amadeus for Cat to try. As I waft into the changing room with it, P calls, ‘Val, that’s not 1920’s’, ‘I know’, but you can’t let these opportunities go to waste. She puts it on, and P adds a mask. It looks fabulous, but you couldn’t wear it to a picnic!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home