Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Kirkstall* Revisited


We had our costumes, we had our props**, and we were heading down the A1 for Leeds and Kirkstall Abbey, and Dean's 'Brideshead picnic. The closer we got to Leeds, the sky darkened and the rain got more persistent. And I got grumpier. ‘I hate the British weather!’

Kirkstall turned out to be a bit of a devil to find, particularly as Leeds doesn’t seem to put up signs for anything other than A roads, or a least not until you’ve turned at a junction (Grrr). So, with me complaining, and Cat blaming the cartographer, we eventually got to the car park. As we got out of the car, the bottom of my silk trousers immediately got in a puddle, and the water began to seep up the legs. Yuech!

We found everyone in the cloisters, (which had a roof, hurrah) with the picnic all set out. It all looked brilliant, and we had Battenberg cake, French fondant fancies, and jam tarts on actual cake stands, with the champagne marinated smoked salmon a particular highlight.

People had really entered into the spirit, and we even had Aloysius the bear. We did all look fabulous (I'm really not into modesty here!). Whilst we’d raided Costume Hire in York, the others had been to the WYP. In my head, I’d created a whole character, of ‘slightly louche and decadent tutor’, hence I was armed with a small novel. (E.M. Forster - I wasn’t allowed Oscar Wilde, as I’d have been quoting all afternoon).

After we’d eaten, and the rain had stopped, it was time for the photoshoot. Well, it had to be done. I may have got a little bossy, but to be honest, it’s always a risk when I’m in costume. We drew some bemused looks from the passers by, but I didn’t care by that point, I was in the zone.
It was also time for cricket. Yes, you read that right. Actual sport, or at least as sporty as people in 1920's costume and unsuitable shoes could get. Not that I ran very far, and I was out second ball (caught behind, Elliott – it just caught an edge), but it was great fun - and I actually mean that. Though most amusement was caused by Dean's bowling stance which caused a wardrobe malfunction of the trouser area. Despite my pathetic efforts, our team actually won! I don’t think Yorkshire, or England will be calling just yet though.

*well, not actually, as it was my first visit.

**Don’t ever say we don’t take these things seriously. Cat had to dig out her ‘cookery basket’ and I had to find my tennis racquet.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home