Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Monday, July 02, 2007

Alone Again


Spoiler alert for Last of the Time Lords

I was told last week by Director Boy* that my blog sometimes can’t be read because I talk about Doctor Who, but I did point out that I always start with a spoiler notice. So, there it is, be warned.

And so, the series has come to an end, and I’m trying to reflect on what I thought about the three part finale.

The good – a wonderfully manic performance from John Simm as a deranged Master, Martha Jones saving the world with a word – and didn’t that just hark back to The Shakespeare Code! DT breaking his heart over the one person whose death would leave him truly alone once again. Lucy Saxon – there seemed to be such a lot going on in that relationship that couldn’t be developed in a ‘family’ show. The fact that some very clever plot points had been littered throughout the series and finally made sense. I love it when a show trusts the intelligence of its audience.

It seemed fitting at the end that there should be a parting of the ways for the Doctor and Martha. She has a road to travel which is different to his, (and in my head, is going to hook up again with the dishy Dr Milligan).

The not so good – DT as a CGI character in a cage - though I could see why the idea of keeping the Doctor as a 'pet' appealed to the Master - and wasn't that just what the Doctor was going to do to him at the end? The contrived explanation at the end that Jack is the Face of Boe. I mean, really! I felt Jack was rather wasted in the final two episodes, after his great return in Utopia, but I'm looking forward to his return to Torchwood. After all, this time, he chosen to return to them, and has addressed his issues with the Doctor.
Overall, it hasn't been my favourite series of the three, but it's had some great high points. But it remains the best drama on tv, and, we still have DT's Doctor to look forward to.
How long is it till Christmas?

* He does have another name, but thanks to Corinne, this is how I think of him for blogging purposes.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home