Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Saturday, June 30, 2007

On being competitive

It's a belief of mine, frequently stated, that there's no point in being competitive unless you have a chance of winning. Therefore, I wasn't competitive about the cricket but I was incredibly competitive the following day at a pub quiz.

We'd arrived late anyway, so had to be read all the first set of questions separately whilst eveyone else was having a drinks break. V was very honourable, as she could have read some of the answers. I'd like to say I'd have been the same, but I'm not convinced. I thought they were pretty tough, as were the second set, but with a bit of debate, discussion and guesswork, we'd got answers for most of them.

It then came to the scoring, during which I'd got distracted by the fact that there was also a tombola going on, and complaining that, £3 later, all I'd gained was a very small packet of bathsalts!

When we got our question sheets back, and started to go through it, we realised a couple of things. We hadn't got our 'picture sheet' back, and some of the questions which were marked wrong were in fact right, and we should actually have 5 more points. That would be at least 2 points more than those who were being announced as the winners then.

I may have started to rant a bit, but subsided a little when reminded it was for charity. I had to settle for the moral high ground that we actually won, and, as we were declared officially third, a voucher for a Yorkshire Tea loaf. And an invite to come again, which might not have been extended if I'd have made more of a fuss. It's a nice pub, and I'd like to go back.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home