Confessions of a Theatre Snob

Sunday, March 18, 2007

It's for charity

After three weeks of false starts, we finally went walking on Friday. Not a long walk, admittedly, but a walk nonetheless. I realised pretty quickly that once again I hadn’t dressed for it. By the time we reached the end of the road, I was bitterly cold, and had to borrow a scarf. As the wind blew into our faces, and my fingers went blue whilst my nose turned red, I kept telling myself that this was doing me good

We walked by the river, seeing bits of Georgian York that I’d never seen before. Beautiful villas which overlooked the river, dainty little cottages with pretty gardens. It was like walking through an unknown piece of York’s history.

As we walked along to the Millennium Bridge, it was like walking out into the country, and strange to realise that the busy roads weren’t that far away. My orientation of the city also went haywire. As I stood on the bridge I could see the tower of Terry’s factory, but it seemed to be in the wrong place, and later the towers of the Minster appeared to our left, when it felt like they should be on the right.

As we walked back into town and crossed Skeldergate Bridge, we found a little coffee shop actually built into the bridge. It felt like time for a coffee stop, so we went in, to find that they were selling home made apple strudel in aid of Comic Relief. Well, how could we resist eating cake as a method of giving to charity?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home